Subject : A new steering intermediate shaft has been developed for some customers may hear a clunk, pop, or knock type noise when turning the steering wheel left or right.
Models : 2003-2006 Toyota Camry, 2004-2005 Toyota Highlander, 2005-2006 Toyota Camry Solora.
Steering Intermediate Shaft Repair Procedure
Prior to removing the steering intermediate shaft, be certain that the steering wheel and entrance wheels stay stationary. Once the intermediate shaft is removed, do NOT permit the steering wheel to spin freely.
1. Disconnect the intermediate shaft sub-assembly. a. Loosen the bolt and take away the clamp from the steering column gap cowl boot. b. Separate the steering column hole cover from the steering column gap cover boot. c. Place match-marks on the steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly and steering gear assembly. d. Remove the bolt and disconnect the steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly.
2. Take away the shaft sub-assembly. a. Place match-marks on the steering sliding yoke sub-meeting and steering major shaft assembly. b. Take away the bolt and steering sliding yoke sub-meeting from the steering important shaft assembly.
3. Place the corresponding match-marks on the NEW intermediate shaft sub-assembly. To put the match-marks on the NEW shaft sub-assembly, place a NEW steering shaft subsequent to the original steering shaft assembly (removed within the earlier step) and transfer those match-marks to the identical locations on the NEW steering shaft.
4. Install the NEW steering shaft sub-assembly. a. Align the match-mark with the one on the steering sliding yoke sub-assembly and the shaft assembly. b. Install the steering sliding yoke sub-meeting with the bolt. Torque: 35.3 Nm (360 kgfcm, 26 ftlbf)
5. Connect the intermediate shaft sub-assembly. a. Align the match-marks on the steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly and the steering gear assembly. b. Install the shaft sub-assembly with the bolt. Torque: 35.three Nm (360 kgfcm, 26 ftlbf) c. Set up the steering column hole cowl to the steering gap cowl boot. d. Join the clamp to the steering column gap cover boot and tighten the bolt.
6. Take away the steering wheel holder from the car (if used).
7. Road test the car to confirm the restore and make sure that the steering wheel is centered.