Filed Under (Ford) by admin on 20-04-2013
O2, or oxygen, sensors on a Ford Focus monitor the combo of oxygen ratio to burned gas in the exhaust system. They transmit this data to the powertrain management module, or PCM, which then adjusts the amount of fuel to adjust to the data. After time, the O2 Sensor in the Focus can break down and trip the “verify engine” mild on the dashboard. Replacing the sensor yourself can save you cash on labor expenses, and the auto parts stores can learn the difficulty code and decide which sensor in the exhaust system of the Ford Focus has gone bad.
Ford Focus Oxygen/O2 Sensor Installation Instructions
1. Drive the Ford Focus up onto the automobile ramps on a flat floor and apply the parking brake.
2. Place a wheel chock behind one of many rear tires.
3. Put on the safety glasses, collect all of the tools and new O2 sensor, and crawl beneath the entrance of the Focus.
4. Locate the O2 Sensor you are replacing by following the exhaust system to the sensor the parts retailer informed you was bad. The sensor screws into portholes in the exhaust pipes forward of the catalytic converter. There may be one close to the manifold within the front pipe area and another one close to the catalytic converter.
5. Comply with the wire of the O2 Sensor to the plug and unplug it. Use the flathead screwdriver to press in the clip lock and separate the plug.
6. Place the oxygen sensor socket onto the ratchet and remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust pipe. Whether it is stubbornly rusted or caught, light the propane torch and warmth the area of pipe across the O2 sensor to broaden the pipe. Take away the O2 sensor as soon as the pipe expands sufficient to launch it, however then permit ample time for the pipe to chill down.
7. Screw the new O2 sensor into the porthole within the exhaust pipe and tighten with the ratchet and socket. Watch out not to over-tighten. Plug the wire back into the connector, gather the tools and crawl out from beneath the Focus.
8. Remove the wheel chock, release the parking brake, and drive the Focus down off of the automobile ramps.