Filed Under (Ford) by admin on 07-12-2012
This isn’t to say that a backyard mechanic could not efficiently set up a new catalytic converter laying on his back beneath a Ford Contour. It is not going to be fun or pretty. There are completely different designs within the Ford Contour and totally different motors. Every sort will dictate where the catalytic converter is situated and decide the degree of problem to take away and change the outdated one. Some Contours have a couple of converter so assuming which kind your car is and what it wants will likely be up to you.
Ford Contour Catalytic Converter Installation Instructions
1. Raise the Contour on a lift all the way in which to the top. Load all of the tools and new converter into the device tray and produce it over close to you, but maintain it out of the way. Placed on the safety glasses and locate the catalytic converter and decide what you’re going to need and the place you’re going to start.
2. Start with the entrance of the catalytic converter, closest to the motor. Whether it is connected to the manifold, arrange the pneumatic gun, extension, swivel, and the correct sized socket earlier than lighting the torch. Be certain the gun is ready to reverse.
3. Mild the torch and warmth up the manifold stud nuts and when they’re cherry purple, flip off the torch, put the gun and socket on the nut and remove it. Repeat this for all of the remaining nuts. If the converter is flanged to a front pipe and never the manifold, gentle the torch and cut the nuts and bolts out of the flange to separate the connection.
4. Minimize the rear bolts of the catalytic converter flange connection to the center exhaust pipe with the torch. Once more, cutting the bolts from the converter side of the flange connection. Reduce the bolts flush or inverted into the flange and turn the torch off. You will be able to knock the remaining bolt by means of the rest of the flange reference to a hammer and punch if it is lower correctly.
5. Take away the previous catalytic converter and install the new one. Once more, begin from the entrance of the Contour to connect the catalytic converter and work your way back. It is perhaps wise to allow the exhaust components heated up by the torch to chill down before proceeding. If the catalytic converter attached to the manifold place it up onto the studs with the gasket in between and thread on the new manifold stud nuts hand tight. Then re-tighten with the pneumatic gun, swivel, and socket. If it flange related to a front pipe, place the gasket between the flanges and substitute the hardware.
6. Bolt and flat washer on one facet of the flange connection and lockwasher and nut on the opposite side. Tighten the nuts to the bolts with the gun and socket on the nut finish and maintain the bolt head with a hand wrench.
7. Connect the rear flange connection of the catalytic converter to the middle exhaust pipe flange and substitute the hardware in the same manner and tighten. If the outlet of the converter is clamp related to the center pipe, you may need to develop the center pipe (or catalytic converter relying on whether or not it match over or into the pipe) with a pipe expander
8. Substitute the clamp and tighten with the gun and a socket. Once the catalytic converter is connected and tightened on both ends, it might be clever to decrease the vehicle on the carry, start it up, and raise it back up just to check for any possible leaks coming from the flange or clamp connections.